McMurray's Rare and Exotic...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by joerogrz, Oct 29, 2008.

1. joerogrz

joerogrz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    When I ordered my Aussies, McMurray offered to send an extra chick of the rare and exotic type. Inside the shipping box was a sticker that said "cockerel" along with someone's chicken scratch (no pun intended) that said, "Smoked Blue." Well the chicken doesn't look very blue to me right now, but was a yellowish color with chipmunk stripes in the beginning. This is it now.

[​IMG]

If anyone knows what this is, I would like to know. If you have a pic of what this chick will look like when it's grown, that would be great.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Never mind...it's working.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Hmmm... [​IMG] Have you looked in their rare and exotic links to see what kinds they have listed.

4. joerogrz

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    I have and I've come up with nothing that matches their shipping dates for when I got these chicks which was about a month ago other than Single Comb Brown Leghorns. The chicks look similar, but the leghorn chicks are a bit darker than what this one was when it arrived.

5. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    It looks just like my RIR pullets, but that wouldn't be "rare". They have that yellow head with the blackish tips on feathers. Maybe something that looks red?

HUM?

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I'm guessing a Welsummer. Or possibly a Buckeye?

7. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    it looks like my rhode lsland reds when they were few weeks younger

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    McMurray doesn't have welsummers or buckeyes. That doesn't look like McMurray brown leghorns. It's not even quite like my RIR's from there... Digging quickly through my catalog, we'll figure out this mystery.

9. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would guess Welsummer too.

10. joerogrz

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    josanne- I wore out my catalog trying to figure this one out. The arrival week was the first week of October so I'm assuming they only ship chicks that are available at that time.

I'm also assuming they only ship chicks listed in their catalog and website, but that doesn't mean they don't have some odd-ball chickens to ship to people to make them wonder for hours on end, searching every chicken website and book trying to figure out what it is...

It may be some weird mix that just accidentally happened from a rogue rooster jumping fences and doing his thing with everything in sight... And when the eggs hatch they decide, "What the heck? It's rare and pretty exotic. Let's send this to 'em." When all it is, is a cross that no one would ever let happen.

Speaking of which, that might be a fun game... To speculate what would happen if you started crossing different breeds of chickens to see what happens... Like a Japanese Bantam and a Brahma with a little Turken tossed in to make it interesting...

Edit- I checked out the Welsummer chicks and am positive that isn't it. The stripes on the back weren't quite that chipmunk like...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by