mcmurry hatchery Q

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by daoustaj, Jan 3, 2013.

1. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Browsing their website, and added chicks to cart, and clicked update shipping and it said 2 to 5 days standard shipping. . . I dont think chicks would survive that long???

2. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I think they can. The yolk absorbs into there systems and they can be with out food for a day or so. I think 5 days if really streaching it, but 2 they should be fine.

3. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    changed my opinion!

I have posted many of my chickens on this site to id the type of breed as McMurray tossed them all in one box however, no one picks a breed that I ordered and after researching I have come to the strong conclusion that I do not have most of the breeds I ordered and believe I got mostly mutts. I also found that they get there eggs from other farms so they have no chickens and no true control over what they get.

I have looked for a hatchery that I can travel to and after talking to them for well over an hour (very friendly people) I decided hands down this is the hatchery everyone should buy from...lol. If I would have bought from them first I would have saved 20 to 30 dollars and known what I have for chicks as they will mark and package each one and they raise the pure breeds that their eggs come from.

http://thepoultryhatchery.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=43_49

Other perks...
    Special for orders now till I'm not sure when buy 5 get 1 same type free (don't have to buy 25 for a free mystery)
    order requirements less so if you don't want to be over run with chickens you don't have to.
    Cheapest green food I've seen anywhere including the costly commercial feed
    Sales from non-livestock help the 4-h clue (they give back)
    sure there are many more but you will have to see for yourself.

Note they told me over the phone that they are working on their site so some information and breeds are yet to come... feel free to call them about this.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree that 5 days would be the limit - I think they would get cold as their heat packs would be spent. One thing I do is have my postal hub - not MY post office, but the major city that gets the mail before my post office - tell them I'm expecting baby chicks and to call me the moment they get in. Then I drive (about an hour for me) and pick them up myself. That eliminates a day right there that the chicks would have spent getting to my post office.
    I also agree that McMurray does a good job.

5. daoustaj

Aug 22, 2012
    I might try them, not sure. I had ordered from privett hatchery in new mexico, way further from me, and i had free 2 day shipping. But if mcmurry uses grow gel, that may help with pasty but?

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Here is something about how they ship

This is just abut them in general

7. McMurray is great. Chicks can go up to 3 days without food or water as the yolks absorbs, and they add some grow gel to keep them hydrated. When we ordered last Feb. the chicks got stuck at the post office over the weekend, but we got them and they were all alive, and except one who had splay leg, they were perfectly healthy. I recommend having them add a packet of grow gel to your order too. It works great, and works wonders on sick chicks.

They print the chicks' hatch date on the box, and we usually get them two days after that. :)

8. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Thank you for posting this hatchery, I live in New England and have been looking for a hatchery closer to me for when I need more chicks. I will definitely be checking them out.

9. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I just talked with one of the owners of Poultry Hatchery and I have to say I am really impressed. His cost for chicks is comparable to other hatcheries and he offers show quality birds not hatchery stock. I ordered 25 total chicks 15 black Austrolorps, 5 SG Dorkings and 5 Light Brahma all pullets. Shipping was cheap too for that many. Much cheaper than other hatcheries and it's only 5 hours from my house so in a pinch I could drive there.

If they turn out as good as they sound over the phone I will definitely be buying from them again for my chickie needs :p

10. daoustaj

Aug 22, 2012
    How much were they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by