mcmurry sick chicks please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario2girls

Songster
12 Years
Sep 5, 2007
please start a list of people who got delivery of mcmurry sick chicks here,,,what you ordered for breeds and date received,,,thanks .this will help us all

Please post info here!

It will help other people, like me. I'm driving from Madison Wisconsin to Iowa to pick up my chicks from mm hatchery, this saturday. Now I dont know if I should cancel my order or not.

Thank-you for your info.

I hope you spoke to Mcmurray and got either the refund or the replacements cuz the Customer Service on my order was very good and my choice of either---

I got 7 Faverolle Roos instead of 5 girls - 2 roos

and the Buff Laced Polish 7 of them didn't make the trip.

I had the choice with no hassels - ( I had openned the box in front of the po clerk just incase) they are replacing them
but I could have had the refund) I have never gotten a perfect order cuz that is Shari luck but this was very easy to correct---

Picked up 2/9/08

115 chicks total
so far about 20 sick, 2 dead

Breeds
Cuckoo Marans - 12 ordered, 1 dead, 9 sick, 2 appear normal now
Buff Rocks - 7 ordered, 4 very sick
EE - 8 ordered, 4 sick, 4 semi-weak
Partridge Rocks - 7 ordered, 1 dead, 5 sick, 1 normal
Others all normal so far include Blue Andalusians, White Rocks, Blue Cochins, Red Stars, RIRs, Black Australorps, EE Bantams.

Sickness occurred started day 12 and has continued.

My chicks got here all alive, all 28 of them to Portland, OR on 2-25-08
I have lost 3 in 36 hours that I think was related to stress of shipping or faliure to thrive.
One is still much smaller
I lost 1 Black star (the other one is doing awesome!)
I lost 1 BLRW (the other 10 are big piggy chicks and doing GREAT)
1 lost one Speckled Sussex (2 remaining are doing great, a 3rd is smaller than her 'sisters')

I think it is possible that the stress of shipping and piling up in the box to stay warm was hard on my smaller chicks.
that is the ONLY thing my chicks have in common - they were the smallest of the chicks when they got here on Monday.

I don't think McMurray did anything wrong, I think it is good old Mother nature (ie weather and maybe a weaker chick to start with)

I called McMurray today, great customer service, they have credited me for 4 chicks, becaues I have another SS that is small, and I didn't expect a credit on the BLRW as they had sent an extra but they credited me for that one also.

I think in the future I would order later in the spring.

My losses have been really close to 10% and to be honest I expected that. I was THRILLED that they all made it, but of course sad to loose some of the smallest chicks.

Catherine - Time will tell how my chicks do! I'm keeping them warm, clean and dry and double checking my date code on my food to make sure it is fresh.

Picked up 2/25/08

44 chicks total
26 dead

Breeds:

2 porcelains
1 salmon faverolle
3 red pyle OEG
4 silver polish
2 sultans
5 Golden Polish
2 crevecoeurs
2 dark cornish
1 dark brahma
4 Buff Laced Polish
2 Turkens
2 white polish
2 white laced red cornish
2 white faced black spanish
3 mottled houdans
2 Dominiques

Last edited:
i was expecting some loss from the stress that is what i was thinking,,,did you all catch the new post on the i know what is wrong with our chicks thread...you may want to read it,,,good news i think,,,

Our original order from McMurray arrived on February 11. We ordered 32 hens and 1 roo.
*Rhode Island Reds
*Silver Laced Wyandottes
*Buff Orpingtons
*Partridge Rock
*Easter Egg

2 were dead in the box when we picked it up. In less than 48 hours we had lost 15! This is almost 50%!!!!! The chicks that died never "pepped" up and were much smaller then the rest of our chicks. MuMurray was wonderful and kind to me. They said that there was a bad snow storm the day that the chicks shipped out. They replaced all the ones that we lost and sent a new shipment the following Monday (February 18th). All of the replacement chicks arrived much "peppier" then the first bunch. We have had the new ones for 9 days now. We did NOT lose even one from the replacement set. Everyone is growning and happy and eating like crazy. I put the new ones right in with the original ones and everyone did just fine.

While I wasn't happy to have so many die. It was actually very upsetting especially because it was our first order ever. But, I was very please with the customer service we were given.

I don't know if it was the weather or something else, but our replacement chicks did great. Who knows??????

I do think if and when I order again, I will wait until later in the spring...........lesson learned!

GEZZZZ, you guys are scaring me!!!!! My order is due to arrive on March 3rd. I'll be afraid to open the box!!! This is all very sad:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom