Me and family are so excited to start our coop and have so many questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Stedman, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Stedman

Stedman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2016
    We are gonna start off small with 4 hens. We were thinking on 2 Rhode Island reds and 2black australorps. We are looking for them to be pets as well as egg producers. One question I have is though could I get four different breeds one of each or would that have any negative impact on their well being ?

2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Hi, welcome to BYC!!

It shouldn't matter what breed they are as long as they all grow up together. :)
    Rhode Island Reds and Black Australorps are both great breeds, hardy and duel-purpose (meaning you can eat them or gather eggs :p ).
    I actually have a few of both of those breeds right now that grew up together. :)
    Best of luck to you :frow

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    I've heard a couple of folks say that some RIR can be a bit aggressive...but, the same could be said for individuals from other breeds.

Barred rocks and buff orpingtons are also good layers and mostly friendly chickens. Australorps are supposed to be pretty good chickens, too.

Just some food for thought... :)

Ed

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Also, look a the adult size of the birds, too. If you could get birds that will be about the same adult size then this might help prevent any bullying later on. Ed

5. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Building your own coop? I applaud you. That's better than getting a premade, dollhouse coop. You're planning to "start off small with 4 hens," but trust me when I tell you to build the coop for at least twice that many; at least a 32-square-foot coop. Trust me.

6. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Nope, mixing and matching is totally fine and very common! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Cochins are another good breed, docile and the hens tend to be good mamas.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by