Me and my Bantams

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aaronisloan, Dec 3, 2012.

1. aaronisloan

aaronisloan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    Hi my name is Aaron Sloan I am from the wirral in mearseyside. that is in the UK, I know this is an american site but I wanted to see other peoples views aswell as a few of mine.
    Anyway I have these beautiful 4 bantams one is a silky and she seems to be the youngest and the alpha in the pecking order, so it seems. The others I don't know what breed they are but one is black with a gold plumage on the chest and two are brown with one having an affro and one having a black head, they have been known to be good egg layers apparently but I love them as pets.
    The female bantam with the black plumage on its head seems to be the mother of the pride as it calls the rest in just before dusk, (CUTE) she seems to make a long but deep call like a (harrr'-Harrr') that makes the others go in.

The youngest one and the alpha seems to make the others sit on her because she is a silky she has no feathers but just furr, she is the youngest and most enquisitive in finding things like a gap in the fence that they may be able to get through, she would be there first or if there was mealworms being scattered she would be the first there and she seems to butt the others and peck them out the way so I just through some more in a different area so she doesn't have them all to herself. LOL [​IMG]

She looks like this actually [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello, Aaron, and [​IMG]! Great to to have you here! By no means is this an American site! Poultry enthusiasts from all over the world are welcome members. So, jump right in and make yourself at home!! Best of luck with your bantams!!

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I grew up on the Wirral in the UK! Small world. I used to live in Ellesmere Port. I now live in Thailand.

I used to get the Mersey Rail train over the Liverpool where I worked. Thanks for yours post. You have me remembering now.

Your chickens sound lovely. I tried to keep silkies but they seemed rather short on the brain department and kept getting into all sorts of scrapes when I let them free range. I know have Japanese bantams and some Thai game birds. They are more street wise and I don't have to worry about them falling into ponds, getting lost in the rice fields, or just sitting there while some dog come up to them for a free chicken meal.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. You'll find lots of members on here from all over the world. Your flock sounds lovely - lots of good luck with them[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by