me and other quail witnessed a fox kill one quail.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sjaved789, Mar 5, 2014.

1. sjaved789

sjaved789 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    London City
    My quail were in their run feeding off the earth. It is a new run so I had my doubts, but confidence over weighed any. I was in my house and I noticed the birds started going made flying around. J look outside and I saw a crafty fox running around the outside of the coop trying to get in. I grinned to myself and thought " haha you shalt not enter upon my quail today fool". Then I noticed one of my quail head is sticking out and is stuck. Before I could turn my grin upside down the fox decapitated it. It has returned and is walking around. Oh how I wish guns were legal here. How can I get rid of it

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Do you have a dog? Can you purchase wolf urine?

3. sjaved789

Jan 9, 2014
    London City

I just purchased an airsoft . Hopefully they will get the message.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  4. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Trap and relocate? Line the run with electric fence?

5. sjaved789

Jan 9, 2014
    London City
    The fox returned over 4 or 5 times during the night and brung a few buddies.

I waited the next day until I got a semi auto gas gun. I heard some chaos from the quail pen and knew right away mr fox was back. I think he got the message as he has never returned after I fired him up.

6. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    That works too XD

7. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    If your quail are not securely penned expect a fox to get them one day, scaring and killing is no use when there is more than one fox in this world.....the sooner people begin to accept responsibility that their pens are not up to scratch when their livestock are killed the better.

8. sweetbeak

sweetbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I have installed solar lights that flash and have never seen a fox since then. They don't like the flickering lights as they think someone is there. I use the string led solar lights and wrap them along fences and trees, works a trwst. Plus at night time the garden looks amazing. Hope this helps.

9. sjaved789

Jan 9, 2014
    London City

Yes I totally agree. I purchased hardware mesh and put it all around the pen and I don't think they can get to them.

I do believe the gun works though. Before I had one they use to be 4 or more foxes roaming around the garden harassing my quail. If I opened the window and shouted they would literally not care that much, at most they would jump back and look up, but soon after would carry on roaming and sleeping around untill I come downstairs and throw stuff at them. After shooting on site I have noticed they will not stay in the area too long and if they notice me looking at them they will run

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  10. sjaved789

Jan 9, 2014
    London City

Trust me foxes in London are something else. They are not scared of humans, many times you would walk on the street at night and a fox will casually walk past you without giving you a single glance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by