ME being stupid!. i need help):::

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by birdherder, Apr 10, 2012.

1. birdherder

birdherder Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    well, i wasnt going to make this becasue i felt so stupid but one of my chicks was hatching and i helped it hatch but i think it was to early): its yolk isnt fully drawn but its still alive! its eyes are openign and closing mostley staying closed. i just want to know if i should put it out of its misery or if it has a chance) i already know that hand hatching is bad! but please please please please help me!

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I'd leave it alone, and make sure none of the other chicks can peck at it.

And, learn from this- don't help them anymore unless you're absolutely sure they're ready, and need help.

I understand though- it's really tough to watch them struggling.

3. soffeann1997

soffeann1997 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Give it a chance. Sometimes the yolk is like that at first. I would wait at least 48 hours.

4. birdherder

birdherder Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    thanks guys for the help and sphinx, i know from now on im just letting nature take its cours, i guess this is my lesson to be learned..

5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    See how it is in the morning. It may surprise you and be just fine by then.[​IMG]

6. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    It might be fine. Just leave it in the incubator and see how he/she is in the morning.
    My sister had one lake that, and by a day or 2 later it was fine,

7. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    She will absorbe the yolk sack in her own time. Dont worry about her eyes being close she might be like that for a couple of days. Her sleeping is a good thing she will be building up energy.. Dont beat yourself up either we are not born with a PHD on how to look after chickens ;)....(ps dont know why im calling it she lol) keep us posted :)

8. gambit2178

gambit2178 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    CALI
    I had a similar issue...when my last chick chick pip, another hen snatched it from the nest, pecked at it, made it bleed, broke half the shelf off..when I saw her running with the egg/chick I chased after her took it away, didn't know what to do, still had the yolk as well, housemate told me to put it under a broody hen, sure enough two hours later it had absorved the yolk but couldn't break the shelf because it was on it's lower part...I had to help it, then use the blow dryer to dry it off then back under broody momma...and two months later this is it...a spicy little attitude chick!
    [​IMG]
    His name or her name is...PIP

9. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    She is too cute! :). I love to hear happy endings...xx

10. Michaels1715

Michaels1715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Chester County, PA
    What day number was it? Please update when you can - would like to know how the first one is doing and if any others have hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by