me too! day 18

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
Well this isn't even a happy occasion. Out of 4 polish, 2 went to the hatcher, and one is questional. It has small dark blobs at the bottom of the pointy end. I put it in the hatcher to be real sure, but I don't think that separate blobs are a good sign.
Sigh, I guess I will have to find a little stuffed animal for the survivor, if I have one.
Cynthia's eggs go in the hatcher in 2 days. They must be good cause they keep heating up the bator! Karen

fl.gif

I have in the past, so sure, it can be done, but it's more just luck than anything, after several criteria are met, starting with the eggs having good shell quality and being fertile in the first place. Next, packing counts a whole heap. Then the illustrious Postal Service gets them and if they're still okay after that, then there are the bator issues. When you think of that chain of circumstances, it's a miracle ANY hatch, isn't it? But I've had a hatch rate on shipped eggs somewhere in the 80's% range before.

Okay, I looked. The questionable polish had a movement. Egg has good air pocket, some veining at the bottom. The other polish has filled the egg to the point where I can't see thru it except where the air pocket is.
Cynthia's eggs. I got 9, one was clear. The other 8 have nice veins, nice size, nice air pocket. All seem to have the same amount of growth, so I guess no one is left behind. Melanie's silkies-I got 9, now I have 6, all have veins, air pockets, and some variance with growth inside, but in general, pretty good.
I was going to use the LG as the hatcher, but I couldn't get the humidity up high enough. So I moved the egg turner to the LG, and it wouldn't fit, and made the eggs too close to the heat element. So I took the turner out, and will hand turn them 4x a day. The hover lets me put lots of water in it, and the humidity is 75%.
Since I had to switch bator/hatcher, the hover had alot of eggs in it, and I had a problem with the heat getting to high. Now with only 2 eggs in it, its taken alot of work to get the temp up to 100. I'm almost there.
Out of my 4 thermometers, I am going with the 2 that read the same. My 2 hygrometers are 10% different in their levels. One is at 68, one is at 78. So , average is good.
I'm so nervous I feel like puking. Karen

Back
Top Bottom