Me vs Chickens...veggie gardening...round two

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AimsChickies, Nov 8, 2009.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    My chickens and I do NOT agree on the purpose of plants....any plants at all. I have several times tried to plant a veggie garden (most recently 2 weeks ago) and they end up eating ALL of my plants. I just re-planted my garden (chose a container garden over my garden boxes this season), and surrounded the whole thing with wire fencing. Any other tips to try to get them to leave certain plants alone? I always let them out every day for several hours, and they love it too much for me to keep them locked in their run. Thanks for any help!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I gave up on trying to explain which plants were off limits and which ones were up for grabs and just fenced the garden in this past year. [​IMG]

3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Mine ignored the radishes, carrots, squash, lettuce and beans. I did have to put fencing around the cabbages and Brussels sprouts. The tomatoes were in a fenced garden on the other side of the property, so they weren't an issue. Next year I'm going to plant three gardens: one for chickens, one for deer and rabbits, and maybe one fo me.

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My chickens took out 2 veggie gardens this year. Next year my garden is going insid a 10x10 dog run. The chickens will have a new coop and run of their own!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by