Meal Worm Farm

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by mc3742, Dec 17, 2012.

1. mc3742

mc3742 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    I started a meal worm farm in an old 10 gallon aquarium about a month ago. I ordered 500 and placed them in with about 2 1/2 inches of wheat bran. I have added banana peals and other fruit compost twice so far. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing everything correct so far. Should I just wait a few months and eventually I'll have a thriving worm farm? Also please tell me how long to wait until I start feeding them to my girls.

Thanks Nathan

2. 4roadranch

4roadranch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    I was just looking at youtube of raising meal worm. I think u should feed your meal worms baby carrots and lettue because fruits and potatos get spoil and wet quick which meal worms don't like. That all i know sorry.

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    There is a very - very extensive thread on meal worm farming under the Raising Backyard Chickens/Feeding and Watering forum. Some of those people have had their meal worm farms for years.

From what I can recall when I was reading it regularly - 4roadsranch is correct about the veggies over the fruit peels. The fruit is too much moisture and attracts undesirable insects- namely fruit flies.

Some put the empty toilet paper roll in there so they can see their beetles and see if they have eggs or new larvae. If you want a self-sustaining farm you will want to wait until the beetles start laying eggs before starting to feed out the beetles and larvae.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by