1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meal Worms: Buying vs Farming

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ComfortChickens, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ComfortChickens

ComfortChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    I recently started looking into creating a meal worm farm since my girls love them so much. Just looking for opinions on if it is worth it financially and time wise to do this or if I should just keep buying them Thanks much!

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    If you have a lot of chickens, like maybe 30 or more, I would think it would be better for you to start your own mealworm farm, than buying them in packages. But if you only have a few chickens, I dont think its worth your time and money to start raising mealworms.

3. ComfortChickens

ComfortChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Okay, thank you for the advice! I can definitely see what you mean and right now I don't have that many chickens. I'm thinking I may want to hold off on creating a farm since right now it's not too expensive to buy worms for my girls. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by