Meal worms

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
My chicks love meal worms. I mean really really love meal worms. However they can be a bit expensive. So I saw some naturaly dried ones on a hatchery website and they were cheaper. I get about 3,500 per bag. They arrived today and I was so excited to give them to the chicks and watch feeding frenzy. Guess what. No one likes them. A few took them, but dropped them very soon and would have nothing to do with it then. Not one chick would eat them.

Anyone else have chicks that are that picky? LOL Guess it is back to getting the real worms.

OK, gross thought, but could you soak the dried worms?
sickbyc.gif

Imp

I used to buy live meal worms for my hedgehog. Pretty small containers...I'd keep them in the fridge to hibernate then set a few out in a dish to "thaw". She loved those things...

When we had our sugar gliders we started breeding mealworms as well very easy. All you need is a small shoe box type plastic storage container drill small ventalation holes in the top. for bedding we used old fashioned oatmeal. Buy a package of mealies from the pet store turn them loose in the box and wait for the cacoons to appear then move them to another box set up the same way. to feed them we used potato slices, cabbage cores, or commertial cricket feed. If they are kept warm the reproduce quite quickly. Once they hatch from the cacoon they start laying eggs in the bedding. if i rememberrigth they lay 40 eggs a day for 10 days to 2 weeks then they die.At one time we had 6 boxes running. The gliders loved them and so do our button quail it is quite cute to see the button boys pick up the mealies and give them to the girls they are courting.

i have a leopard gecko, she's still a baby and that's all she's eating at the moment. she loves them and my broody ducky loves them too. i buy containers of 50 at petsmart for like 4-5 bucks i think they are. reptile stores sell them pretty cheap if you don't wana breed your own.

When I got some I would buy online at GRUBCO located here in Ohio.Decent prices for a variety of live insects. The poop dust made me so sick though that I can not raise them,so I don't get them anymore.Maggots are free from the bottom of my garbage can,lol.

Quote:
sickbyc.gif

Get a cat and have them leave half eaten bunnies in the yard for a day.

Went to move my garbage can to the curb the other day - maggots were crawling out from under the lid from afore mentioned rabbit parts...

sickbyc.gif

Quote:
We have several petsmarts within 40-50 miles of us. I checked the prices and they are the same as what you are paying at your petsmart. But I have a privet owned pet shop I can get them from for cheeper. 60 are $1.98 and 100 are $3.00, and 200 are $5.00. Guess I will keep buying from her. Am going to try raising my own as suggested, but until I do get some from that, will just buy them to get me through.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom