Mealies Killed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BellevueOmlet, Aug 1, 2011.

1. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    My father-in-law came over and used my garage the other day. For some reason her took the lid off my meal worm farm (18 gallon) and threw a bunch of big 2x6s and wood in it. I came home to find my 10 month old mealworm farm smashed and obliterated. I am working on keeping the living alive since they seem pretty hardy and many survived but I could not believe it when I saw it. It is not much work to keep mealies going but replacing the food and checking on them and then to find them like that, I was pretty upset.
    My father-in-law and I get a long so he did not do it maliciously, he just does not pay a lot of attention to things like that. Time to start rebuilding the colony.

Can I leave in the dead to be eated by the others or will that cause them to become more canabalistic?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I usually feed dead mealies off to the chickens. They're quite happy to eat them and I've seen no ill effects. Mealies tend to be a little cannibalistic anyway so leaving them in probably won't cause them to become worse, but the chooks will probably enjoy them more.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Of course. After you said it, it was so obvious. The chickens are the whole reason for the mealies anyway, that is who I will feel them to. [​IMG] thanks

4. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    [​IMG] I so sorry to hear this! Maybe you need to put a HUGE sign on the outside of the container that says "LIVE MEAL WORMS"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by