Mealworm and Heads

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Keeperoflock, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Keeperoflock

Keeperoflock Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Central Indiana
    Hi Y'all,

I have been reading on here about mealworms. Some say the heads are bad for chicks' stomachs and then some don't say anything about them at all. What's everyone else's take on it?

Am I supposed to pick the heads off of these things before I give them to my babies?

Thanks in Advance

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Good grief. Never heard that one. If I had to pick the stupid head off every meal worm I fed, I'd throw them all out and forget it. No. That's just not true.

The fact is live meal worms, heads included, are far easier for chicks to digest than dried meal worms. However, you need to be sure your chicks have access to proper chick grit if you are going to feed them, and only feed in moderation until immature digestive systems adjust.

I've fed live meal worms to chicks as young as just a few days with no problem after their gizzards have been kitted out with grit.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    ChooksNQuilts likes this.
  3. Keeperoflock

Keeperoflock Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Central Indiana
    The ones I'm talking about are the dried ones. They have grit available 24/7. Thanks for your response!

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I can't see how heads would be an issue (and yes if I had to pick off the heads I wouldn't bother giving them any at all!) I did break up the dried mealworms into small pieces while the chicks were small (mostly to make myself feel better I guess - the chicks would eat whole ones), and they had grit as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: