Mealworm beetle stage

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Grammahen, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Grammahen

Grammahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    Can anyone tell me how long the beetle stage of the mealworm cycle lasts. They are creeping me out. Eeww! Oh so many and they make a creepy noise too. Oh what we go through for our fuzzy butts. [​IMG]

2. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I'd like to know too. I have meal worms and the super worms that are all beetles now.... very creepy.

3. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I have beetles living 3 months or more. By that time I figure they've layed about all the eggs they're going to and are nearing death anyway so I feed them to my chickens!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  4. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

gross! yeah we arent into the bug farming thing so much...if they find a bug in the run they can have it but I aint going to grow bugs for them... you guys really love your birds!

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I bought some mealworms at the pet store in July and started a growing bin. I moved the full grown beetles to the second bin in August, leaving the first bin hopefully with plenty of eggs and developing worms. I think the hot weather might have killed off my first developing batch but now I see reallllyyy tiiinnnyyy little worms in the first bin. I can't wait to get worms big enough to feed to the girls!!!

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've read online that the life-cycle of the darkling beetle is about a year, so from the time the eggs are layed until those eggs die as beetles. [​IMG]

7. Grammahen

Grammahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    Do I have to have a second bin? What happens if I leave the beetles in there?

8. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Quote:It's just easier to rotate bins so that you have beetles laying eggs in one, developing eggs in one, and worms in the next. I move the beetles to a new bin about once per month. I have one of those plastic storage drawer things with 3 drawers.

Here's a good link...
    http://geocities.com/finch1313/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by