Mealworm FRENZY!

acissej

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Duvall, WA
I ordered a batch of mealworms that arrived today. This is the first time they've seen mealworms. It was disappointing at first since they were just looking at them and not sure what to make of them. But that didn't last long! Once they got a taste for them, it was CRAZY. They were running all over with them in their mouths in a frenzy. They were taking them out of my hand so aggressively it HURT! It's a good thing I got a bunch of them. BTW, how do you store mealworms? The site I got them from said in a "sweater box" (what's that? like the box you wrap a sweater in as a gift?) but they crawl right out (even with the lid on). We put the box in another bigger bin but I'm still worried they'll be all over our basement.

I usually buy them from the bait store. They come in a plastic container filled with sawdust. I store them in the refrigerator.
I've found that they go just as crazy over pieces of lunchmeat. When the lunchmeat gets old it goes to the chickens. They go into a frenzy, when I throw a piece in the run. I like to throw a piece in that's to large for them to eat quickly. It makes for some good chicken chases.

Back
Top Bottom