1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mealworm question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AHappychick, Dec 6, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    There was an older post that showed this video

I have the exact same set of plastic draws and it looks like the op of the video does not have a top on them and each level has a floor so it sort of acts like a top to each draw under it. Anyway she did not keep her's inside, but I sort of have too at least if I don't want to be running a heat lamp in the garage for them. I will put them in the garage as soon as spring is here. Anyway do you think the beetles can escape from the draws with out me putting a mesh top on them? or should I use a shoe box with top (that I got from sillybirds) for the beetles and only keep the worms in various stages in the 3 draw set?

thanks [​IMG]

BTW I HATE bugs so this is a big thing for me so I dont want to have to really handle the beetles (I can deal with the worms) but something about hard shelled bugs [​IMG] dont mind any other creatures rats, snakes, etc but beetles [​IMG]

I plan on getting this when I have the funds to put over a bucket to do my sifting. Of course that will always be done outside.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    [​IMG]

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have my worms and beetles in a 3-drawer open-top set of plastic bins. So far no beetles have escaped. I have had this set-up since September in my dining room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by