MEALWORM QUESTION

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by drewskimac, Feb 12, 2015.

1. drewskimac

drewskimac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    I just had my first pupae turn to darkling beetles, and right now there are three beetles. The beetles seem very inactive right now, i havn't seen them eat and it seems like they mostly just burrow down and hide all day. Is this normal for the first few days of the adult stage?

Thanks, any and all answers are appreciated =)

2. Gary Willson

Gary Willson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2014
    I raised some worms and had some turn into beetles. They attracted some tiny flies, and also didn't produce scads of worms. I also found out that my chickens LOVE the dried ones you buy in a bag. Soooo, I dumped my beetles in my compost pile and fed whatever worms I had to my chickens.

3. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    you didn't get many babies? hmmm maybe you didn't start with enough!

4. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA

What is the temp in your bin? I've found the beetles are more affected by cool temps than the larvae.

5. shorttimer

shorttimer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    Morro Bay, Ca
    I've has reasonably good luck with raising Mealworms. It's pretty straight forward, and I know I'm using rolled oats for their bedding/food, which is probably second best to wheat bran, from all the research I've done. You want to keep the medium dry, between 75 & 79 degrees for optimum turnover. I cut up carrots & sprinkle them on the bedding so the worms can get their moisture and maybe a little nutrient from it. I tried celery & now use it in very small amounts because it adds too much moisture. And lately, after reading a thread on here (I think), that someone had some really good luck at speeding their production by taking the skins from an eaten Kiwi fruit & laying on top of the bedding. Skin side down. I tried it & they really like it. I'm sure lot of experimentation would be in order. Temps are important & when you get in the 'sweet spot' you'll see the activity speed up. There's lots of info on the net with all sorts of videos. It's helpful to have at least 3 different plastic trays for the different stages of growth, which I look over on a daily basis. The beetle tray has been cut out on the bottom & screen put in so the tiny worms & eggs fall through so the beetles don't cannibalize them. I figure if I can do it anybody can. It's really simple & other than the oats & a few carrots, I've only spent about $25 for trays in the year I've been doing it. I like the 28 Qt Sterilite ones from Walmart & the tops are handy. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  6. TheWolfRaven

TheWolfRaven Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2015
    All my new beetles have always seemed inactive.
    I usually keep 100 or so adults in a separate tub with bran and a few slices of carrot.
    2 weeks later I took them out. 2 weeks on I have hundreds and hundreds of baby worms.

Mine never really were active- most just ambled around the tub occasionally eating some carrot, occasionally burrying themselves.

7. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    My temperature is around like 75 degrees

8. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR

9. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014