Mealworm Questions!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by little farmer, Jan 1, 2013.

1. little farmer

little farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

So, I want to start a mealworm breeding colony for snackies for my chickers. :) I have a couple questions. First of all, could they live in shed??? My chickens live in it, we insulated a part of it for them, but the other half is protected, but not insulated. I keep my food there, it's a dry place. So, could I keep my mealworms there??? I wasn't exactly wanting them inside. [​IMG] Second of all, where would I buy the mealworms? I know that I would order them online, but any suggestions??? Thanks!!! -little farmer

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    buy them from a pet store and you can't keep them in to cold of a place i would say your house is best and also you do know theres two different sizes theres small and large small turn into small beetles and large turn into a good size beetle like an inch big so what i do is when the beetles hatch i take them and put them in a different jar of oatmeal so they can breed and put a potato in the jar to feed babies and beetles

3. little farmer

So, if I get them in the spring could I keep them in the springhouse??? It's not cold in there, it's just not insulated. The chickens eat the beetles too right??? I don't wanna turn this into an infestation. [​IMG]

4. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    chickens can eat pretty much any bug so yes and yeah its fine in the spring

5. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I've heard the actual beetle isn't good for them. 32-39 degrees is the lowest tempature they can go before the start to die. how hot, I'm not sure.

6. little farmer

Thanks all!!!! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by