1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mealworms and baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by juliawitt, Aug 22, 2009.

1. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    My little chicks are almost two week old. Can I feed them mealworms?
    My husband has already snuck them a couple and they loved them....but, was it "good" for them.

2. eggdicted

eggdicted Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2009
    White Hall
    i fed mine meal worms at 4 weeks and they will not leave my feet when im in there run or coop the follow the fence around when im outside of the run if you want your chicks to love you or in my case obsessed with you feed them about 3 mealworms a day and you couldnt beat them off with a stick

3. PollyWaddle

PollyWaddle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Eugene, OR
    I think it's ok -- if they were with a momma, she'd be showing them ALL the good bugs by now.

4. juliawitt

Aug 9, 2009
    I have seen absolutely no ill effects from the meal worms. So, I think that once a day I will treat them. Must say that "CackleHatchery" talked me into Dominiques. They are the sweetest, smartest little things. I am so glad I got them. My Wyandottes are cute and they are rather sweet but the Dominiques are like little canaries. After my husband gave them the mealworms, they run and try to fly into your hands. While in your hands they will actually sing! What fun. Thanks for your advice!

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Just be sure to offer grit when adding snacks so they can digest them.

Mealworms were my first snack offered at 3 wks old for my big chicks and banties. They LOVE them.

I also offered scrambled eggs mixed up into tiny pieces the same size as the meal worms. They LOVED them as well.

I think it is so helpful to have your chicks used to you, picking them up, lots of calm handling.

It makes it so much easier when they're older and you need to pick them up to check for mites or injuries or to put them back in the run if you have one get out.

Enjoy your little ones.

6. juliawitt

Aug 9, 2009
    Should I just mix a little grit into their baby chick crumbles?

7. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    At four wks old now- my chicks love meal worms. One of them loves to gobble them down- while the other 2 peck at them, but havent figured out what else to do with them. Then 1st one comes around and steals them- running off singing the "I've got something good!" song.

8. SusanD

SusanD Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks (about 2 weeks and have not had grit yet) were offered some pieces of mealworm today. Although they weren't super excited, I think they did eat some of it. Do I need to go out and get them some grit, or just wait to offer them mealworms until the are outside and have a chance to find their own girt.

9. rsonl541

rsonl541 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    California
    My 4-6 wk old chicks love mealworms.. Go crazy for them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by