Mealworms and chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barbedwirecat, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    How early can I give live (but soft) mealworms to chicks? I have a TON of them. Mealworms, that is.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Provide some fine grit, and you can offer them any time! Give one at a time for some great entertainment. Yours, not theirs!

3. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Think Momma Hen.....how soon does she provide her chicks with bugs and worms? The Momma Hen raised chicks get their grit from the dirt they eat off so as above, be sure you give yours chick grit.

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I raise mealworms and feed them as early as two weeks...they LOVE them. I do tend to pick out the smaller mealies though. The smaller size seems to be easier for the little mouths to handle [​IMG]

5. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    Quote:I am looking to buy some worm to get my own group started... Where do I get a large amount from & what all do I need?

6. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    have had luck with uncle jims worm farm had two different shipments. tring to incoprate that into growing my on only two months in and ill keep you updated in the results.

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:I buy a tooooon of mealworms and super worms for my tortoises and turtles and Uncle Jim has THE best price on Mealworms. They are easy to get to breed but the temp has got to be right. Down here in South Texas it can get too hot to get them to multiply so I keep their bins in my airconditioned office. I just add a little chopped greens to their bins every couple of days for them to feed on. They are on an oatmeal base - just regular quick oats. Be careful how much wet material you add because it can generate a toxic mold and you will lose your bin of worms. I think that the little fuzzy chicks look like baby two footed Elephants running about when they have a meal worm hanging from their beaks [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I got mine from ebay in a lot of 3000. I chose this because the seller was very close to me and I didn't want the mealworms overheating/freezing from a long transport.

9. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I got mine from sunshine mealworms, and from flukers. I just used a two level plastic drawer, filled each drawer with two inches of chick starter, and dumped 2000 mealies in each bin (I bought enough so that I could feed them out immediately, and have enough left over to start the colony). I sometimes buy more mealies in the winter time to recharge my colony, and to ensure I have enough winter time mealies to suplement my girls since they don't find as many goodies free ranging in the winter.

My colony is on a shelf by my back door, and when the temps cool off, mealie production slows (which is why so many people and pet stores like petsmart and petco recommend refrigerating them. It prevents them from turning into darlking beetles). So, by buying more in the winter, I can still feed a significant amount to make up for the treats my girls aren't finding. My colony is so big now that I do not have to buy additional mealies in the winter any longer. My colony is three years old.

[​IMG]

I cut a potato in half length-wise and then in quarters, and put half of it in each drawer. As it dries up, I just add fresh cut potato (or carrot) for moisture. I use half of an egg carton in each drawer to give the creepy crawlies something to hide in.

Once there is a lot of dried up potato, I remove it, and alot of the fras (mealworm poo) by sifting it (some people like to keep it for a while, so any of the eggs in the fras have a chance to hatch and grow large enough to pick up and add back to the colony before disposing of it. The mealworm/darkling beetle takes about three months). I leave the dried potato pieces for as long as I can stand it, just in case there are eggs layed on them. I replace the removed fras with fresh, unmedicated chick starter.

I must admit, I sometimes neglect my colony and forget to give them moisture. Once, I forgot for more than two months. The mealies were still thriving when I finally remembered them. They are pretty tough little guys, and are pretty forgiving. A couple of fresh chunks of potato, a place to hide, and bedding to eat, and all is right with the world.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by