1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mealworms and other treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mikejr05, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Mikejr05

Mikejr05 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    Idaho
    Hi everyone just getting ready for new chicks next week. I know that after a couple of weeks I can give them treats, one question I have is this: Has anyone bought the mealworms from petsmart or other pet stores, or are you just buying them online? As always thank you for everyones help.

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Live or dried?

3. Mikejr05

Jan 17, 2016
    Idaho
    @CochinLover1 It says dried. And your avatar picture is awesome.

4. CochinLover1

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Haha thank you! And, I have purchased the dried mealworms from my local TSC. My chickens weren't all that crazy with them. My adults and chicks both did not care for them. Then again, my adult birds are free range so they are used to the live bugs that they catch. I would recommend live.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mikejr05

Jan 17, 2016
    Idaho
    Thank you, this is good information.

6. CochinLover1

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    No problem! If you still want to try them, I'd recommend the smallest bag to try. I have found a mealworm brick before. It's dried mealworms, molasses and some seeds in it. My chicks seemed to enjoy picking at that. Only, I do not remember the name of it. Only that I got it from TSC and that it looked cool, so I got it.[​IMG]

7. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I purchased live small mealwoms from Petsmart and the chicks LOVED them. I recently got a large order from Rainbow so I can raise my own since it seems like they will be a favorite treat. I also bought 1/4" crickets and those were a hit. Recently tried waxworms...one of the chicks jumped into my lap!

1 person likes this.
  8. Mikejr05

Jan 17, 2016
    Idaho
    Ha I do that down the candy isle all the time. I don't have a TSC close I have a source for live mealworms I think I will get a few from them and see if I can get a few dried ones as well and just see what they like best.

9. Mikejr05

Jan 17, 2016
    Idaho
    @Jensownzoo Thank you, Live seems to be what is most recommended. And I will note do not try the waxworms [​IMG]

10. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    My chicks/chickens(past) loved the freeze dried mealworms; Amazon most reasonable for here in Hawaii; but lately this batch of chickens seem to be loosing interest. They grub the yard & get veggie scraps, possibly getting spoiled :) Love the freeze dried mealworms for training when they were young but then I tried live ones from the pet store. They went CRAZY!

So as I've done in the past, started a Mealworm Farm (learned from BYC) when I got these chicks (late Oct '15). Just the other day I noticed the tiny baby mealworms squirming about. Production has started, it will be another month or so before I can start feeding the MW to the chickens.

I've also read about FF on BYC, I love it! Little more work but no feed waste, poop firmer & less stinky plus a lot less, less water consumption due to the wet feed & they like it. The feed's 'broken down' some so they get more nutrients, I've read and love the 'benefits'!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by