Mealworms as treats, sure but where?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KansasKid, Jul 30, 2010.

1. KansasKid

KansasKid Songster

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    My mandarins are very flighty and i would like to, at the very least, keep them from buzzing around my head when i enter there enclosure. One thing i noticed is that even when I'm in the enclosure, kreepy crawly bugs always seem to draw there attention away from me. So how do i go about getting some meal worms? or something else that can grab there attention.

2. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Songster

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    You can get mealworms at most pet stores. [​IMG]

3. blueskylen

blueskylen Songster

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    there are a couple of folks on here selling mealworms and mealworm kits. they will probably reply to you. i had been raising mealworms from silly birds mealworms, all last winter and just today fed my chooks the rest of the beetles from them.. i could have gone on raising them, as they were no trouble, but was starting to forget to feed them. it caused quite a frenzy when i threw all the bugs and worms into the run!.

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Start growing them yourself. It is really easy, and I remember my father doing it for his fishing hobby. Just google it and you will find instructions for it.

5. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Songster

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    I raise them if you are interested in buying some. I also have and can get more super worms. Bigger than mealworms and easier to digest.

6. KansasKid

KansasKid Songster

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    If your close to southeast kansas I'll buy some. otherwise i don't really want to go through the process of shipping.

7. Chickies-duckies-etc

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    Sorry, I seldom get that way. Shipping works well for them, but like someone said, they can generally be found at a pet shop. If you decide to raise some, I will be glad to share information with you. It is not hard and does not take fancy equipment. oh, another place to check for them is at the feed store. Unwelcome residents there sometimes and the owners might be very glad to let you take some. [​IMG]

8. KansasKid

KansasKid Songster

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Ok, when i get some would it be alright to pm you for Information?

9. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Songster

Apr 12, 2010
    Both Petco and Petsmart should carry them.

They were in the reptile section.

I bought a can of dried meal worms.

They were not really dried, because they were packed in water or juices or something.

Anyways, my ducks seemed to love them. It's about $4 for a small can and kind of expensive to feed on a regular basis, but i plan to get some more maybe once a month or 2.

10. Chickies-duckies-etc

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    Quote:Yes, that will work great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by