1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mealworms for chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by danstanick, Mar 2, 2013.

1. danstanick

danstanick New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    Corona, CA
    I just got a new batch of chicks from Burkee - they are one week old and seem to be doing well. I'd like to 'train' them early and I know my older birds go crazy over mealworms! They even recognize the container I keep them in. Is it OK to give the chicks an occasional treat so they get used to me?

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I would not give chickens that young mealworms, because they especially need the right amount of nutrients when they are so young. You could give them some when they get older

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I use mealworms even for chicks on day one. Best feeds made not as good as insects but feeds cheaper. Use the mealworms as treats to keep costs down. Get chicks to take them from your fingers and you can do all sorts of training.

4. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    My daughters just broke into my mealworm farm and started to feed them to the chicks.

More entertaining than TV. The chick will grab one out of your hand and then the chase begins as they try and keep the rest of the crew from stealing their treat.

One little chick will jump up and try and catch a worm being dangled from above. My daughters love the show!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by