Mealworms for winter- how much to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Marianne25, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Marianne25

Marianne25 Out Of The Brooder

Hi, just ordered 1000 giant mealworms since winter is almost here and insects will be scarce. My flock eats Purina Layena with Oyster shells now. How much/how often should I offer mealworms? Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    I don't know how big your flock is. But little each day as a treat.. is good

3. Marianne25

Marianne25 Out Of The Brooder

I have seven ;)

4. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Mealworms are just a treat.. so giving some everyday is ok.. that's all is needed

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I have never fed my Birds meal worms......Sounds like you might have to eat some too? That is a lot of worms.....[​IMG]

Just treats....

Cheers!

6. HARRY47264

HARRY47264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bismarck AR
    I gave up on meal worms they don't mature fast enough I switched to black soldier fly larva they are native to Arkansas and are free they eat all of my garden waste kitchen waste from coffee grounds to watermelons my bin is 8' long 2' high 2' wide I harvested two 5 Gal buckets this summer they are in the chest freezer for winter use I am still harvesting about two LBS a day that I feed amongst 64 chickens they are 41% protein and are ideal during the molt when they see me coming with that red bucket they go nuts go to YouTube for tons of info on black soldier flies

good luck Harry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by