Mealworms: Friend or Foe?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mary Poopins, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Mary Poopins

Mary Poopins Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    Hello All,

I have been raising my own mealworms in preparation to feed to my girls and I stumbled upon some disturbing news.......

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef507.asp

http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/PDF/FSA-7081.pdf

Basically what these documents say is that the darkling beetle (mealworm beetle) and their larvae can be carriers for most of the diseases our little girls have to deal with.

When I first read about this my first thought was that this is just something the poultry industry has to deal with and we all know how clean they are!!!!
    If any of us didn’t clean our coops for a year, they would still probably be cleaner then any production facility!!!!

But now I am second guessing my choice to raise mealworms because I do not want to harm my girls.

I want to know what you all have to say, especially those who raise their own mealworms!

Have any of you had any problems?

How long have you been feeding your girls mealworms?

Do you feed “fresh” or freeze dried?

Have you had any issues with raising mealworms that have caused you to scrap a batch and start new? Like mold, etc...

Anything you can add will not only help me but also the BYC community.

Thank you again and I look forward to the responses!!!!!
    ~Mary

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I answered your main question in the mealworm farming thread. The short answer is, it's not a problem, the lesser mealworm that can be a problem in poultry operations is a very different species than the common mealworm, which we raise. I've been feeding my chickens fresh mealworms for years. Most people feed fresh. My mealworm colony is over 25 years old and I've never had any issues that has caused me to scrap it and start over. Most things like mold are easily fixed.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mary Poopins

Mary Poopins Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    Hello Gallo del Cielo,

Thanks for the great reply!!!

I totally missed the the "lesser" in the name and assumed it was the same species, der!
    I looked them up and you're right, they are two different species!!!

WoooHooo!!!

I can continue to raise the mealworms with a clear conscience.

Thank you again
    Mary

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It's all good! [​IMG] You're not the first and certainly won't be the last to wonder about this issue.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by