mealworms ok for 2 week olds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MydearWatson, May 14, 2011.

1. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    My babies have been on grit since they were 3 days old, will mealworms be OK for them?

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. cochicks

cochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I think I've read that it is best to wait until four weeks for anything other than chick chow. Then again, that's what they'd be eating if they were with mama outside. I'm only on my second batch of chicks, so I hope someone with more experience chimes in for you.

3. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I try to answer my own questions based on what does nature do. Momma would be feeding them allll kinds of stuff on the ground from the very first days. I had one gulp a whole mealworm down on day 2. Just make sure they have grit or sand to help digest it.

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

You can start giving treats like meal worms, bugs, grass (with roots and dirt attached--they love it), chopped/shredded veggies and fruits, boiled and scrambled eggs just as soon as they are eating their starter and drinking well and you are sure there are no digestive issues--usually by day 7. Giving them things like they would eat if free ranging with mama hen will help teach them to forage when they are moved outside. Just be sure they are getting most of their nutrition from a balanced feed.

5. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Try cutting them in half first [​IMG]

6. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Mine have had mealworms daily since day ten (30 days old today), and they instinctively knew how to break them up, so I never had to cut them up. [​IMG]

Mealworms are their absolute favourite treat, and the key to their craven little hearts.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Mealworms that are small enough to be swallowed whole are fine. I apply them routinely to first feeding chicks as they are a little less harsh on the young chicks digestive tract than dehydrated starter feed. Mealworms are not a complete diet in themselves so a complete starter diet still needed if access to natural foods not possible.

8. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    Thanks so much for the replies! [​IMG]

I decided not to buy them today but definitely will soon. Maybe another week. I had a few issues with pasty butt so I want to have a good chunk of time with no issues first. But I was SO tempted to get them today. I cant wait to get them treats!! They have small sized at PetCo that looked manageable and hopefully dont need cutting.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:I have been getting meal worms from song bird supply place. They sell more and keep them fresher than most pest stores I have dealt with.

10. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:I just [​IMG] can't [​IMG] bring [​IMG] myself [​IMG] to buy them [​IMG] ! [​IMG] I have been buying small crickets instead and they LOVE them too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by