Mealworms ok for week old chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by suzie walker, Sep 28, 2010.

1. suzie walker

suzie walker New Egg

Sep 26, 2010
    Broken Arrow
    I have six approximately one week old chicks and I wondered if it was okay to give them meal worms yet? i am brand new to this.

2. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    I've done it. No one has died...

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Moma chicken would have had those peeps out scratching up meal worms already.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yes, it's ok, but only give them a couple per day each at this time, and gradually increase the quantity. Too many cause diarrhea.

5. itsalladream

itsalladream Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Some mealworms that you buy are "gut-loaded" meaning they have extra calcium added to their diet. Might want to be careful about that. I don't know (as I'm new), but from what I've read, calcium isn't good for chicks. If you are unsure, you might want to remove them (if they are store bought) from whatever medium they are in and let them purge any added calcium.

I only know this because an exg/f of mine had lots of reptiles and worked at our local enviromental center, and she was always careful about that kind of thing.

6. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:If they are buying them straight from the pet store fridge, not only are they NOT gut loaded, they are starved, half dying and low on nutritional value. I suggest giving them some veggies and chick starter to the mealworms after warming to room temp, before feeding them out.

I used to breed reptiles...

7. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    yes, I remember that when I fed my frog crickets, I had to feed the crickets "Gut Load" first so that they had some nutrition before the frogs ate them. So yes, they are quite empty coming from a pet store.

Give your chicks some grit when you give them the mealworms. While their starter feed will have grit, they need it with anything you would use teeth for. Yogurt, for instance, wouldn't need grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by