Mealworms... Rugby in the brooder!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LovinMyPeeps, Mar 30, 2009.

1. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I bought small mealworms from the local pet store and opened the containers for my babies popped out the worms and set them in a dish... well... it turned into peep full contact rugby.
    It was so humerous to watch. I bought 50 worms and they were gone in an instant between 24 chicks. Can't wait to give them crickets!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh yes! Mealworms are a favorite and are so fun to watch the chicks go nuts over!

Make sure you offer some chick grit with the mealworms so they can get them ground up in their crops.

3. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Yes, they've already been introduced to grit [​IMG] I introduced them to grass this week, which they found fun... but nothing like the worms [​IMG]

4. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    [​IMG]

I love chickie rugby!

5. CHICKENCHASERWV

CHICKENCHASERWV Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    I have the same post. I put my 27 ccicks 5 weeks old out in the outside coop this weekend and thought I would get them some meal worms and night crawlers. They liked the meal worms but the night crawlers were funny to watch them with these large worms hanging out of their mouths running around playing look what I got. This was they're first weekend outside not in the run yet still too cool for them.

6. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I'm in the really frigid north east but I can't wait to get these little fuzzy butts outside! Probably be atleast another 6 weeks here [​IMG]

7. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I am going to get my chicks some crickets today, I might get them some meal worms also, but I hate those things.

8. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Crickets are a blast. We gave our girls small ones at about a week and a half old. After they had a few, they figured out that they were in the small box they come in. They would peck at the box (knock, knock) then watch the hole for one to stick it's head out. Then it was grab and run away from the other chicks. The girls are now 5 weeks old and have had medium crickets (These give them a work out, as they hop around more) worms from the compost pile, and night crawlers. I call it "chick pinball" as they bounce off of each other trying to get away. We had a nice warm Saturday, and I took half the girls (we have 22, I didn't want to spend the whole afternoon trying to round them up) outside to the covered run. At first they all got real quite, and huddled together. then I threw some food in and they started to explore. They are entertaining to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by