1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mealworms vs. redworms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by zgrower, Jun 30, 2008.

1. zgrower

zgrower Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Are these the same just different names? I'm thinking they are different. I cant find any info about redworms multiplying. I know from another post that only adult mealworms (as beatles) breed but i'm not sure about redworms. Also, I found a local source for redworms. They want $15 per lb. Does that sound resonable?

2. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Well, I know that mealworms are like caterpillars with legs and eyes. Around here, we use redworms synonymously with earth worms. They are those legless worms that tunnel in the dirt and are kind of slimey. They have a whitish band around their middle and two of them have to rub their bands together and they both make babies.

At least that's what I remember from when I was in the 6th grade and we had to disect some... so.... just sayin'.

Cassandra

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Mealworms are actually the larvae of an insect. Redworms are an actual worm. Earthworms are larger, darker and live in burrows in the earth. Redworms are smaller than earthworms, red and live more in the leaf litter and humus.

Redworms are the ones people use for composting, also called vermicomposting. Raising them is called vermiculture. They are easy to raise and nutritious.

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Quote:Yep what she said. And if the $15 includes shipping or local pick up it sounds like a good price to me. If I recall correctly (which would take a minor miracle) i paid about $20 a pound plus shipping. 1 pound = about 2000 worms depending on size.

5. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I have raised and am raising both mealworms and red worms. Red worms kept in a composting bin are marvels and one day you will look in and find little white threads moving - they are baby redworms. Once you pick one up you can see inside. It is very cool.

Did I mention that I am a science teacher, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by