mealworms yes or no

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rigamortis1963, May 16, 2010.

1. Rigamortis1963

Rigamortis1963 New Egg

May 16, 2010
    hi sorry to bother people but my chicks love to eat mealworms only the small ones but i need to know if these are ok as a treat for them.

Dave

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yes, A lot of people raise them for their chickens.

Imp

3. pkforever

pkforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Thats awesome! I just ordered 500 of them so good thing. I learned superworms weren't good for them the other day!

4. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Were'd you hear that? They are in some cases better than mealworms as they pack more protein and have less chitin. (Insect exoskeleton) Making it easier to digest. Though grit is still needed. The only downsides is that you might need to crush the heads for smaller birds, (Not full grown chickens) and that they take more time and work to breed.

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I saw the Happy Hen treats at TSC and one of the treats were freeze dried mealworms....but a super small bag was like $10 bucks [​IMG]

6. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    only 500 worms? Wow!!!

That will last, what?, 10 minutes. Then what???

7. pkforever

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:Well I only have 3 chickens... [​IMG]

8. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Well I only have 3 chickens... [​IMG]

Breed them!
    Take 5 minutes a week to feed them in their breeding container, and you will have thousands in 4 months....if you don't want to buy anymore. [​IMG]

9. pkforever

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    That is what I am actually planning on doing. You don't have to keep them in the fridge do you? Thats the only thing I have read. And the fridge is an off limit area for animal food, insects and any other nasty thing. Mom's rules

10. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Keep them in the fridge if you want to save them for later. In the fridge they won't eat, won't grow, won't pupate, and are "asleep". If you have any questions on breeding them shoot me a pm. I've been breeding them for a year now for feeding them to wild birds, and now my duck and young chickens. I have around 5,000+ mealworms and 2,000+ beetles. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by