Mealworms!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TaraBellaBirds, Aug 8, 2013.

1. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    My flock just had their first taste of mealworms. It was a total hit! They were squabbling and talking the whole time, and the older birds loved it enough to get friendly with me. For my 9 week flock it was their first real treat and they couldn't have been more excited. The little ones are much more friendly than my first batch (they are fewer and have had more one on one time) and even the timid ones were taking them out of my hands. I just had to share and will definitely make this a regular treat for my birds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Yes! I think mealworms to chickens must be like chocolate to us!!

3. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    It must be, with the way that they acted today. It was like they had discovered "chicken crack" LOL (forgive the metaphor)!

4. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    I'm sure they'll enjoy it as a regular treat- It was a hit with mine as well!

5. GarretTrezona

GarretTrezona Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Thats awesome, now i know to go get some meal worms today to try out with my chickens.

6. Sofi

Sofi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    My pullets were all skittish (only home for a couple days), then I showed up with mealworms... Apparently they are the key to a chicken's heart! They ate them from my hands and they seem to like me and trust me a lot more now :)

[​IMG]

7. steny03

steny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Nevada
    Lol you are brave to feed them by hand with those...I wouldn't dare with my girls.....I toss a couple handfuls out on the ground for them (the dried kind), and all I hear is the snapping and clacking of their beaks as they vacuum them up....

8. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I've noticed pullets tend to be a bit more gentle! I try to watch my fingers when I am feeding my hens!!! OUCH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by