Mealworms!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by collingwood, Dec 14, 2014.

1. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

How do I care for my worms properly?

2. HiyokoInNippon

HiyokoInNippon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    Japan, Hokkaido
    Give them a bed of oats. Add a slice of apple/potato/carrot/etc. or two, keep them dark. Check back once a week or so unless grabbing some for food.

3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Oats or wheat bran seem to work well. Wheat bran seems to be more popular amongst the folks here...it's very light and fluffy, making it easier for especially the beetles. Add 1-2" of oats/bran to your container and add more when needed.

If you can keep them somewhere around 85F, that's ideal. I keep them in the basement, where it's 63-72. Lower temps will mean slower growth.

There is also a very good and long thread all about mealworms here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/492636/mealworm-farming/

How many mealworms are you starting with?

4. collingwood

Thanks everyone! I'm starting with 1000!

5. HiyokoInNippon

Apr 29, 2014
    Japan, Hokkaido
    Good luck, there really is no shortage of information you can find with a simple search on this topic on BYC. Seems like a three tier plastic drawer thingey is most popular.

6. collingwood

Do they die from the heat easily?

7. collingwood

Can I give my mealworms powdered milk?

8. HiyokoInNippon

Apr 29, 2014
    Japan, Hokkaido
    Don't know why you would want to. Also, please join the meal worms thread, there are tons of people over there to answer your questions! Try reading a few pages too, there is superb info there.

9. collingwood

I have tons of powdered milk left over from camping and I want to get rid of it all

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Meal worms eat grain products not dairy products.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by