Mealy worms for chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommom4, Apr 15, 2011.

1. mommom4

mommom4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    I bought some mealy worms for the adult hens to celebrate 6 newly hatched chicks (1 a day hatched for 6 days). They took it from my hand and gave it to the chicks!!! I was really surprised. Is this OK??

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yep [​IMG]

3. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    We start offering our chicks mealworms at about two days old. We crumble it up for them, but usually by the fourth day they know to take the worm and knock it around to break it into easier-to-swallow pieces. Be careful about mealworm treats -- your hens (and chicks) will become your bestest buddies just to get more. Today while I was tidying one of our brooders, one of my older pullets lept up to the rim, saw where the mealworm container was, and before I could do anything, she'd knocked it over and had started feasting. Mealworms - chicken candy!

4. ChickLit

ChickLit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Sheridan, Oregon
    How cute that the big girls gave their treats to the babies!! awwww...

Does anyone have a handle on where to find affordable dried mealworms?? They're so expensive $$$

5. D Moose

D Moose Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    My chicks used to run away scared when I came around. I gave them some meal worms yesterday and now they come running to me. Who would have thought a couple worms could produce such "love"! Meal worms are expensive. How about "regular" worms. They would be a lot cheaper. How many worms are too many? I didn't know chickens were so smart and learn so fast. I think the ducks are a little "slower" but they are getting the worm message too and are a little less skittish.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    A message of warning:

Only feed mealworms to your chicks if you want them to swarm you every time they see you [​IMG]

sceery tide of cute fluff! [​IMG]

7. ChickLit

ChickLit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Sheridan, Oregon
    [​IMG] @ Pele!

My big girls always come running when they see me ... just in case there's treats [​IMG] It is the funniest thing in the world to watch them run from the top of their sloped yard down to the gate, some of them flapping their wings and talking...busts me up every time! (I can't even imagine how insane they're going to be once I get some mealworms into them...better hold onto me hat!!) LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by