mean ameraucana rooster... now what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lady Crone, Apr 14, 2009.

1. lady Crone

lady Crone New Egg

Dec 18, 2008
    Southern Colorado
    hello,
    I am new here, I have read a lot but this is my first post.
    I got an ameraucana rooster, not sure how old but the spurs are starting to come out. His tows are curled so it is harder for him to cut me. luckey for me. He was like this when we got him.
    I would like to start by saying we really like him and want to keep him, he is very good to the hens, always lets them eat first and will not even get on them until they submit to him, very gental and good to the hens.
    He has attacked me a couple of times now told hubby first time he did not beleive me, second time he still did not belive me till I showed him the black and blue marks on my leg, third time he saw it. I have read a lot of posts about mean roos and how to deal with them. Just went out to feed them and he attacked, (always my bad leg, what is up with that? how does he know?). I chased him around my lab jumped the fence and cought him. ( The lab has saved me a couple of times from him). I picked him up (the roo not the dog) carried him around for a while then set him on the ground gentley pushed his head to the ground, and kept holding him down until he stoped fighting, this took a while . Finaley I left the run and he stayed on the ground until I was out of the pen. He is in the chicken house probley sulking now.
    My question is how long is it going to take before I can go into the yard with out him attacking me? Will I always have to go thru this rutine with him or will he after a while give up? Will I ever be able to turn my back on him?
    Sorry about the spelling still a little shaken up and it will take a couple of weeks for this last bruse on my leg to heal.
    Peggy

2. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    He might get used to you, he might not. Unfortunately, roosters aren't really known for being nice most of the time.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Stew pot time. I just culled my Buff Brahma roo after he got my 2 year jacket.
    IMO there is just too many nice rooster out there.

4. lady Crone

lady Crone New Egg

Dec 18, 2008
    Southern Colorado
    If he wen't an ameraucana he would already be in the pot. All of our laying hens are ameraucanas and I do love their eggs and the hens are just so sweet. We do have 5 little ones 3 black cochins 2 ameraucana/cochin mix ( guess they are easter eggers) but we do not know what sex they are. We got the cochins mainly to raise more ameraucana chicks. That would be hard to do without an ameraucana rooster. I have read that cochins make very good mothers.
    I have already decided that I do not go near the chicken pens without my dog. I really do not want to put him in the pot but if he does not stop attacking me I will have no other choice.
    Peggy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by