Mean Brahma hens

cdrocab

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 23, 2016
Allen Tx
We had 3 white Brahmas that we raised from chicks. Of course they didnt start laying till August which is horrifically hot in Tx. The leader hen got egg bound and after I gave her a shot of Calcium Gluconate she seemed to recover. Alas, she succumbed to the heat. That left the 2 hens. A young man had a chicken to give away and good lord she was in bad shape. We rehabbed her and kept them seperated for 2 weeks. We finally let her out and contrary what the feed store said Big Brahmas are Beeotches. I've seen that in flocks before but was surprised by the misinformation of the farm store.
What concerns me is if you go to pick this red rescue hen up one of those darn white behemoths runs and attacks you and the hen.
This red rescue hen is laying now and lord only knows why, she must be so stressed.
Our barnyard is grass and about 80 ft by 40ft with lots of places to hide.
I thought about finding another meek hen to run with this red one so she doesnt feel the need to be with those white monsters.
Everyone is laying at least everyother day.
Is there anything else we could do to rectify this?

How did you integrate them?
The Brahmas had a small coop and the rescue red had a second one right next to them. Even after the reds gate was open she did not come out for 2 weeks so actually they were not in the same barnyard until a month had passed. I did not personally introduce them since I thought eventually the group would flock together. Its gone on now for 45 days. Its like 2 bully highschool girls picking on a nerd.

A single bird integration can be pretty tough. When you say the mean girls are attacking her, what exactly are they doing? Are they drawing blood and doing any damage, or just some chasing and pecking (but not all day)? Is the new hen able to eat and drink at all?

You have a very large area for them to roam so it's a little unusual for them to be over aggressive especially since, as you noted, Brahmas aren't known for it.

Breed demeanor claims, no matter where they come from, cannot be counted on.
Too many variables in chicken society.
The light brahmas I've had aren't excessively aggressive, but they are no pushovers either.

Back
Top Bottom