Mean Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by housemouse, Apr 28, 2008.

1. housemouse

housemouse New Egg

Apr 28, 2008
    Ok I'm new at this and this is the first chicken to do this. She is sitting on no eggs, not eating or getting any water. The man at the feed store said to hose her off. That seems awfully mean to me but she's been very mean to me too. How long does this last? I lock her out of the coup most days or just leave the thing open. When she does come out she acts like she just laid the woulds bigest egg and won't go far from the coup. Thought about getting her a baby but wouldn't the other chicken just kill it? Should I hose her off? What to do, What to do.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    you need a seperate coop or cage to put the hormonal posessed hens. [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

just let her sit on some eggs.

4. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    You can lock her up somewhere else to break her or let her set . Wouldn't hose her (although I might want to) or get her a chick as she might not accept it.

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    If you put her by herself with food and water in a wire bottom cage with no bedding to make a nest with, it will "break" her broodiness more quickly. Otherwise, they can remain broody 2-4 weeks usually, some longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by