mean button quail...

Bryam

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
I currently have 3 female and 3 male 8 week old button quail housed in a 20 gallon aquarium. Last week, I noticed one male had no feathers on his back, but as the days past by, they were starting to grow back. Today I noticed blood marks and the new feathers have all been pulled out again. Do I have too many males? Are they really mean to each other? Pretty savage actually.

Last edited:
The ratio for quail is one male per 3 hens and even at that the female will lose some neck and.head feathers due to mating which is normal.

Stephen

If you have a total of three aquarium you can split them up so 1 male 1 hen per tank, they'll do fine when housed this way but for larger spaces a ratio of 1 cock per 3-5 hens.

Stephen

Thanks! I decided to sell a pair with the dominant male and see if that alleviates the tension.

Last edited:
If the trouble starts again maybe house the pairs in different cages or split the aquarium in half.
Could you post a pic of the set up?

Stephen.

Here are my quails! They are happy now that the mean dominant male is gone!:D

Last edited:
Yup, I think I am going to sell another pair and just keep one pair. I can't believe out of 18 chicks, I got 3 hens and 15 roasters! Is that normal? IT wasn't easy finding suitable homes for of those males!;)

Back
Top Bottom