mean chick -- get rid of her?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmergal, Oct 22, 2008.

1. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I've done a lot of research on feather-pulling, but I'm still not totally sure what to do. At first I thought I had a flock-wide problem, but it seems like just one chick is doing most of the damage to my sweet little EEs. (FYI, I have 28 five-week-old chicks, who share a 10 by 10 foot coop during the day and a smaller brooder at night. The coop has plenty of natural light, pine shavings for bedding, chick starter and treats -- zuchs and cukes -- in it.)
    Anyway, this one RIR pullet, 5 weeks old, just can't stop pulling the other chicks' feathers. When I see her go after one, I'll swat her away, or pick her up and hold her upside down to calm her down, but as SOON as I put her down, BOOM, she's chasing after another chick and yanking out its feathers.
    Now, the other chicks at this point are jockeying for pecking order a bit, deciding who gets to sit on the highest perch and when... and the three young roos get into wing-beating, rush-at-each-other hissy fits every once in a while, but I think that's normal [​IMG]. Whereas this one little freakish chick is just addicted to everybody's feathers. (I've nicknamed her "Satan," with her red feathers and evil personality. By the way, she's incredibly sweet to people. Figures!)[​IMG]
    So the question is: what do I do? Should I give her away to someone with older birds that she's less likely to pick on? Is there some way to re-train her, or are some chickens just straight-up mean?
    Since the rest of the flock seems pretty okay, I don't think it's a protein or a boredom problem... any advice is appreciated.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Well, I would separate her for a week and put her back. Pecking order status changes, know what I mean?

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    iwould cull her she will always be a feather puller

4. phoenix rooster

phoenix rooster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Portland, OR
    i have 55 chicks that are 5 weeks old and 2 of then are really picked out well, only problem is that i might have more than one bully but not sure which one...i have them in a large coop to with much for them to do, but thankfully no blood yet. i using the red heat lamps and blue kote and anti-pick lotion but everyday the little guys/girls have less feathers, what to do! i may try the pine tar next....

5. TexasJoe

TexasJoe Taking a break

Mar 3, 2008
    if Satan is mostly picking tail feathers, you can try applying "Pick No More" to the damaged tails of the poor EEs. But, if Satan is dconstantly chasing and biting the other chickens all over, you will be forced to either seperate him or cull him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by