Mean chick now dead.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sunny Day, May 18, 2007.

1. Sunny Day

Sunny Day Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    I had a chick die the other day. She was incredibly mean to all the others...went around pecking everyone, had 4 of them bleeding. I isolated them until they were well, but decided to isolate mean girl. I had her in a bird cage near the others so she wouldn't be so lonely. I tried several times over a couple of days to re-introduce her, but she'd immediately go about her meanie ways. Then my husband called me (while I was camping) to say she had died. None of us liked her, but we were sad about it.
    Now we have a little bantam with a problem. I don't know if her wing is broken or her leg or what. She can't balance. She'll eat and drink as we get her to it. We've held her in a papertowel to stablize her and warm her, but I just don't know if she will recover.
    I had a goal of keeping them all alive. We have them in our sunroom and are watching over them carefully. I guess I'm off to a bad start.

2. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Wow, what a start you have had. I sure hope the little bantam pulls through for you.

3. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    What are the breeds of the remaining chicks to include the one that currently has a problem. I know that some breeds have the open skull like newborns. I was wondering since you said you had one that was mean, could the one you're having problems with be of this breed (that has this known and completely normal condition)? If so, could it have gotten pecked on the head causing some brain damage? Or is it obvious that the wing or leg has a significant problem? Either way, I wish you the best. Please keep us updated. Also if you can get some pics, that might help us help you.

4. gavbarker

gavbarker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    How old are they? If they are young maby the mean one was a little away from the heat.

5. Sunny Day

Sunny Day Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    Mean girl was in the same area as the rest, plenty of heat. She was just plain mean. (Fortunately, she wasn't pretty either, so nobody is really brokenhearted.) We aren't sure what she was because the breeding company messed up our order. I do think putting her in the birdcage within the area with all the others helped, but every time we let her out she just went back to her mean ways. I'm thinking she wasn't well and the stress caused her to act as though she had pms. (I know about this!)
    Anyway, thank you for caring. It's a little more maintenence watching these little ones than I expected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by