Mean Chick??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HighAltitudeHens, Aug 18, 2011.

1. HighAltitudeHens

HighAltitudeHens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    I'll try to make a long story short. I have 8 chicks, 3 days old, mixed breeds. 1 of the buff brahmas got a bad pasty butt, I had to wash her twice (in 2 hrs) b'cuz I couldn't get it clean on the first try. Even with 2 washes, I had to really work at some dry parts. When I finally got her back in the brooder, she started grooming. When there was nothing left to groom, she started pulling at her own wingtip feathers - hard enough to chirp in distress! (LOL) Well, not enough fun I guess, cuz now she pulls everyone else's wingtips, even the 2 chicks bigger than she is. I mean, she pulls them around the brooder! I've isolated her for now - I've been trying to re-introduce her to the group but she only behaves for a minute or two. Any ideas how to correct this behavior? Anybody ever have this before? I'm afraid I'm going to have to raise her alone and cull her as a meat bird... [​IMG]

2. Lisa0318

Lisa0318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Hi, i have had this problem with my barred rock chick she would pick out the others feathers till they bleed. I did some search in google and found a spray. you can purchase it at all feed stores its called stop picking or something like that lol. but it works , you spay it on the areas where they pick and it taste nasty to them so eventually they stop the picking.

3. HighAltitudeHens

HighAltitudeHens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Thanks Lisa! I had no idea there was such a thing - since I read your post, I've been Googling all over the place! [​IMG]

4. Lisa0318

Lisa0318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Here is some of the ones i use Johnson's anti-peck spray, Ukadex anti-peck spray, and also some say that by mixing 1 tbsp of vinegar or salt into a gallon of water works fine too, but i use the spray because it works better and alot faster because of its bad taste and smell.

5. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    hmmm didn't know such a thing existed...that's why I love BYC![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by