Mean chicken all of the sudden???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by waitin on eggs, Nov 4, 2010.

1. waitin on eggs

waitin on eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Spartansburg,PA
    I have 3 girls around 27 weeks. they have been brought up together and when I got rid of the roos around 15 wks, I noticed a little bit of squabbling, I'm assuming they were rearranging "pecking order" all was fine. They all 3 just started laying for about a week now. The one in the middle of the "pecking order" Is all of the sudden picking on the other 2 like when I give them treats or just observing them running around the yard. It's almost as if shes trying to "Mount" them and pecking at their necks!! Do I do anything or just leave them be? Does "pecking order" change when they begin laying? or just raging hormones? I dunno, Please any advice would be great.

2. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    mine pick on each other, but it's pretty random. one day I noticed my white leghorn was pecked to the point of bleeding, and a friend of mine told me to put ACV in their water, seems like it worked because it stopped the pecking and I can tell they're more aggressive to each other whenever I run out of it. might be worth a shot?

here's what I get:
    http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/...ment-_-GG-7002&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=GG-7002

3. waitin on eggs

Sep 29, 2010
    Spartansburg,PA
    Quote:Is this regular apple cider vinegar that I purchase at the grocery store? And do you know what this does? I mean is it a nutrient they are lacking? Thanks for your quick response

4. egg proof

egg proof Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    I read on this forum that the roosts should be even height to regulate the pecking order. Well I evened them out and lo and behold, no more top dogs. They peck at each other randomly, but not deliberately. The things you can learn on here. [​IMG]

5. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    It is NOT the same as the grocery store ACV. the difference is the organic ACV has the "mother" enzyme in it, which is what makes it beneficial to animals and humans both. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I think it has something to do with ph balance. also, it works as a dewormer, I like using it instead of chemical treatments. Some people use it in tea or juice as an immune booster, I haven't tried that yet but I will this flu season. I also give it to my dogs.
    The natural ACV does cost more, I think I pay 13.99 for a gallon at Vitamin Shoppe, but I only use 2 TBL per gallon so it takes me a while to get through a whole gallon. One thing I've read that I should pass on is that you shouldn't put it in a metal waterer because it reacts and will eventually allow the metal to corrode, inviting rust to their water supply. so only use it in plastic waterers.

As far as lacking nutrients, I don't think that's the case. I think as long as the chickens get a balanced and consistent diet, they're probably not lacking anything, but I'm not a chicken expert by any means. If you look on this site, there's likely several posts about it, as I know there are a LOT of people who use it.

6. waitin on eggs

Sep 29, 2010
    Spartansburg,PA
    I will try the ACV, however I need to purchase a plastic waterer as I currently have a metal one, thanks for the heads up on that. To respond to and earlier idea about the roosts, I only have one roost bar so they are all at the same height. Never had problems till yesterday, I did have to clean one of the girls up her comb was bleeding in 2 places, but there was mostly dried blood the nicks are rather small. I just wondered if this was normal behavior for them as the just started laying eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by