Mean chicken at night

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by copperhill, Oct 25, 2016.

1. copperhill

copperhill Just Hatched

Oct 25, 2016
    Woodinville, WA
    Hi there, I have an EE that is mean mostly at night. She kicks off other chickens in the middle of the night and fights with the hens on the roost. Should I remove her? Remove her only at night? Thanks for any help...

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    How much roosting space do they have?And Welcome to BYC[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, copper hill, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I was going to ask the same question as MasterOfClucker - is this a space issue? I have an old hen who, in the hen house at least, is at the top of the pecking order and she will lash out at any other bird within striking distance on the roost. As the dominant bird(s) in the coop seem to occupy the highest roosting position, I solved the problem by installing a small roosting pole just big enough for one chicken at the tip top of the coop. She immediately snagged it. Now she glares down over her "domain" but since she's all by herself can't do much more than complain. That's what worked for me, anyway. Best of luck to you! [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC. Pertinent question above, re: roost space, and great advice from @redsoxs. Hope you manage to calm her down.

Good luck
    CT

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Redsoxs gave you some great ideas, so I'll just say hi! :frow

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Redsoxs way of dealing with alpha hen seems to be the very best. I really like his idea.

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    You say she starts having a go at other birds in the middle of the night. Do you leave a light on in the coop? If so, turn it off and that should sort the problem. Chickens don't have good night sight, so once it is dark she shouldn't be able to see the other hens to fight with them. Leaving a light on in the coop through the night can stress the hens too. They need darkness and sleep like we do.

I agree, redsoxs solution of making a "special" higher roost for her, is a good one.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by