mean chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theona, Dec 11, 2009.

1. theona

theona Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    i have one chicken who keeps being mean to another chicken what should i do?!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    is a roo or hen?

3. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    If they are hens and is just a case of new introductions and generally bullying, you can let them work it out as long as it does not become violent. You can put the bully in a time out and let the other make a friend.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Craigslist. (disclosing that it's a meanie)

5. theona

Oct 17, 2009
    it is a hen and the other chicken does have a friend so.....

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    If I am around and see it, I give the offender a swat. Twice I had same hen pecking at a runt that is lame and was on the roost drooping her head and tail down so as not to be a target. This was at sundown and I know that the runt (chirpy) gets in there early so as to get a spot before all of the jostling and settling in starts. The hen just kept at it so I smacked her behind the head and off she went to the floor. Then I turned off the lights. She might have spent the night on the floor for all I know. After 2nd time, I never saw it again. [​IMG] I never see any bullying going on in their run or in the coop when I am around. They have a large coop and even larger run by far. That can make a difference sometimes.

7. theona

Oct 17, 2009
    so that does not damage the chicken?[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by