1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mean Chicken!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamaguigan, Jan 1, 2011.

1. mamaguigan

mamaguigan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Pittsfield
    I've been lurking for a while, this is my first post! I have 4 buff orps, 8 months old, all laying every day. Life was good!!! Until..........one of the hens decided to pick on the smallest hen, she chases her from the food and water, if she (the little one) goes up in the coop, miss meany chases her right up there. It's to the point that the little one lays right down when she sees miss meany, and miss meany pecks her really hard!! It would be hard to separate them since we have a small coop, but I could put the mean one in a crate under the coop. We are probably going to give miss meany away to a friend with a bigger flock. Any suggestions might help!! Thanks!! I have gotten alot of good advice from these boards so far!!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

It sounds like you know what must be done. Separate the bully into the crate for a couple days. If you have a garage you could put the crate in, it would be helpful if Miss Meany is right away from the flock. She will drop in status and hopefully be a much more contrite bird when she returns.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by