Mean chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LCARTER87, Dec 27, 2011.

1. LCARTER87

LCARTER87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    We have one chicken in our flock who seems to love to go after me! She is a Jersey Giant, and it didnt concern me terribly much when she tries to go after our fellow chickens and peck them, but now she is going after me. She has even drawn blood from me a few times now! I'm not sure where her behavious has come from since the rest of our flock is very loving, does anyone have any ideas on how to treat this? I feel like she is our bad child out of the group!

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

3. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Quote:[​IMG]

I can't advice you sorry, but i have a really mean chicken too. Hope some one can help you.

4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Send her away or get some heavy duty gloves and a long sleeve shirt and get to work. On here I have read about spraying them with a vinegar/water solution. If she goes after you put your hand on her back and press her to the ground and hold her there for a bit... I have done this several times and it usually works... you gotta show her who the mama hen is!

5. Egg Crate

Egg Crate Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Ivoryton
    I've never been able to turn a mean chicken into a nice chicken, other than by using lollipop's method. The mean chicken obviously thinks you are further down on the pecking order then she is. Since you can't peck her back, it's either freezer camp for her or body armor for you! [​IMG]

6. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Is there a reason why you must keep her?

For me - the flock is for my enjoyment and egg production; which comes first is sometimes debatable. [​IMG]

The thing is, a bully stresses out the flock and you, therefore to me, that chicken is a detriment, not an asset. Why not cull? Now, that is meant in the true sense of the word. Remove from the flock. Take her to a swap, sell her, give her away..... I'm guessing there might be one or two nice chickens out there..... [​IMG] Pick a breed you've been wishing you could have and get one to replace her!

JMHO

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Get one of these:

[​IMG]

Pin her down a few times and she'll keep out of your way. Are you sure she's a hen?

8. LCARTER87

Mar 27, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    The main reason we considered keeping her was because we haved a barred rock and those two are attached at the hip! I also wanted to see when she started laying if she would become more friendly, we had an RIR that was not the friendliest but has lightened up since she began laying. She must think she is more dominant than me, i picked her up today and she still found a way to get me! She is a bully but mostly to me! Today I swatted her away which resulted in her coming after me and chasing me around the yard. I may just have to bunker down and make her know who the head of the coop is..or she may need a new home!

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:THIS

Are you sure it' a hen?

Course, even if it's a roo, same principle applies. Either you're the boss or you're fair game. That's how their minds think.

10. LCARTER87

Mar 27, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Definetly a hen! I think we jinxed ourselves when she was a baby, i had to have a jersey giant and the lady said she was so 'sweet'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by