Mean Chickens-What to do?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shellybean40, May 26, 2010.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Okay-here is my issue. I have 5 bantam chickens (feed store chicks), approximately 11 weeks old. I also have 4 standard chicks, approximately 5 weeks old. The standard size chicks are rapidly gaining on the older bantams in size, as you can imagine. Well, the older ones pick on the younger ones all day long!! Most of the time, they won't let them out in the yard-they chase them back into the house. I laugh because my Brahma chick is as big as my buff cochin hen, maybe bigger and she is deathly afraid of her!! I introduced them gradually, and things seemed okay-but now I just feel sorry for the younger ones. Will things change when they get larger in size? Any Advice???

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    [​IMG]

3. chickenjones

chickenjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Burleson, TX
    I don't have any advice but I can tell you I am going through the same thing right now. We have 6 wyandotte hens and 6 brahma pullets (they are almost 4 months old). They are terrified of the older ones but are just as big. The older ones pick on them and peck their heads and cute feathery feet. I could kill them sometimes. I has been a month almost and they are slowly doing better. The chicks are still terrified of them and when they free-range the older chickens won't let them be with their group but they aren't quite as vicious. I got wyandottes because I thought they were friendly. Not so in my book. They aren't even friendly towards us! Hope your situation improves soon! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by