:'( mean chickens!

girlychick

Songster
9 Years
Jun 12, 2010
New Mexico(yes its in the USA)
Okay well we were gonna put the 12wk olds out in the coop but the leader chicken was really hurting them it was so hard to watch I almost burst into tears a few times. Pekcy has a scratch on her beak, pedro is just terrified and my dad finally got the chicks out of there (you should have seen haw quickly they left when he opened the door!) I am so worried about them I feel like crying. I want to wait until there full grown(I know many people disagree with this) Does anyone know about how old they are when there full grown? I just can't stand watching Torchick peck at them like this She's so mean I hate her right now!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
I know even when there full grown they will still be fighting and all, but I don't think there will be a possible risk of a chicken being killed. I am just so upset right now.

Last edited:
I asked the same question and most of my answers were: wait till there the same size it doesn't really matter how old they are. and i agree with them but they might still be picked on at first just because their new
hmm.png
but not as bad as you were talking about... good luck!
smile.png

I put my four week old chicks in the main coop two weeks ago. I took my meanest hen out of the coop for a week and let her run around the outside of the coop. At night i put her in a dog crate so she couldn't hurt the babies. After a week of that she was happy to be put back in with the little ones and other older hens...now she doesn't bother them.

Actually, MANY people wait until chicks are about the same size as grown hens before introducing them into a flock. I would hold off for another month if you can. And if the abuse gets too bad at that time, you can always isolate the bully for a few days in a dog pen or something...
It IS hard watching smaller birds being picked on, isn't it???
sad.png
Your anger/resentment is certainly normal.

Quote:
If you mean the babies about 30min we have been showing having them meat each other like running around outside, putting them in the coop for short amounts of time stuff like that for a bout a week

if you mean the hens then about a year now

Quote:
If you mean the babies about 30min we have been showing having them meat each other like running around outside, putting them in the coop for short amounts of time stuff like that for a bout a week

if you mean the hens then about a year now

i think it would be best to take out the mean hen, put the chicks in the coop, let them run around in there so they can get used to the surroundigs, and have the hen somewere else for a week, and the introduce her after.

luke.

We have a little problem with the isolation thing because we don't live on a farm and what would happen durring egg laying? We could leave the bully(torchick) out side for a couple of hours while the chicks are in there just with Miley(nice one) would this still work?

Sorry, but Torchick is not being mean. She is just being a normal chicken. Why not put her wherever you have been keeping the pullets and put the pullets in with the calmer hen? After a week or so try reintroducing the dominant hen. Seperation for a couple of hours will accomplish nothing. It's all about the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom