Mean Chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BenAnnaMama, Aug 11, 2011.

1. BenAnnaMama

BenAnnaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    In the past few weeks, 2 of my 4 chickens have become fearless and MEAN to us! At first it was just me... ANYTIME I go in my backyard my RIR and Barred (Plymouth?) Rock run up to me (which used to be cute) and try to peck at my feet. I have become afraid of them! I've had them since they were a day old and they are now 20 weeks old (still waiting on my first egg btw). My Americauna and BO are fine... What should I do about them? I feel like I should just get rid of them since I have a 4 and 2 year old. No one wants to go in my backyard now because of those two! They are fine with each other and get along really well.

Suggestions?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes, It was probably just food begging behavior to begin with, then maybe it got fun when you backed off.

Now, I would just peck them back harder until they quit it. Walk toward them, don't back away. Catch them if you can and carry them around awhile just to show them you AREN'T scared of them.

Or give them away...

3. BenAnnaMama

BenAnnaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Yes, that makes sense... I didn't realize they were that smart to learn behaviors like that! I guess I underestimated their birdbrains! I will make sure I go after them when I'm wearing my boots. I did in the beginning but they weren't afraid... They would just charge me back... Tonight I freaked out and tossed a dog toy at my RIR and she flew off and I felt bad! They must think it is hilarious to see me running in the house from them!

Thanks for the advice! I don't want to get rid of them. I will keep trying!

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Chickens really are smarter than people give them credit for. Course, thats kinda like saying "Their IQ is NOT 12!! It's 15!!"

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I've found it to be highly effective when they peck you to "peck" them back -- a solid two-fingered thump on whatever body part presents itself. Doesn't really hurt, but they react to it much like if they were pecked by another chicken. Whatever you do, don't back off, though, like emys said.

Mine haven't pecked me in over a year. I'm thinking the young ones learned from the adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by