Mean chicks!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrittFreeborn, Jul 9, 2016.

1. BrittFreeborn

BrittFreeborn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2016
    So have 8 chicks ranging from 4-6 weeks maybe not sure, there is one chick that all the others seem to be picking on, it's always by itself I feel bad for it what should I do?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did you get the chicks all at the same time?
    If not, is the one getting picked on one of the newer additions to the 'flock'?

There is always a 'low bird' in the pecking order, as long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or it's not being pinned down and beaten unmercilessly....just let them work it out.

How big is your coop and run (in feet by feet)?
    How many chicks total do you have?
    Pics of coop/run can really help too.

3. BrittFreeborn

Jul 5, 2016
    [​IMG] the "coop" is 2x4 and the run is 4x4 and there is 8 chicks but they will be free at the out with my 6 other hens once they are off chick feed and yes she is new to the flock but she is 1 or 4 new ones and the only one being picked on also the coop has 2 2foot roost

4. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Tight space and nowhere to hide.

5. BrittFreeborn

Jul 5, 2016
    So what would my options be?

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    More space, multiple feed/water stations, places to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from aggressors.
    As long as no copious blood is drawn and no one is getting pinned down and beaten umercilessly, let them work it out.

When you add new birds to an existing group, territoriality issues arise.....existing birds will defend their space and resources(food/water).
    This will happen when you add these chicks to your older hens too.
    There's always some pecking, but it can turn into a blood bath if not handled correctly.
    It's best to house new birds next to existing flock, but separated by wire, for a few weeks before allowing them to interact physically.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
    This is good place to start reading:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

7. BrittFreeborn

Jul 5, 2016
    Awesome thank you, my older hens are all free range and hang out by my chicks so I'm hoping that transition is a little smoother thanks and for your help

8. BrittFreeborn

Jul 5, 2016
    That seem to be getting along better not as much pecking

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by